All Images © Ally Ritchie (unless otherwise stated) - Click on any image to enlarge

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

In Remembrance...

2 photos of my dearly-missed Dad, taken in the early '80's, both connected with Armistice Day parades of the past.

First one was taken in the yard at our old house, before a Remembrance Sunday parade (wasn't taken by me, probably by one of my brothers or sisters)... He looks so proud standing there in his medals:

And then a photo taken at the parade (not sure if this was the same year or not) - This time an official photo, taken by a local photographer, probably for the paper... Dad is second from the right in the front row:

I'm very proud of my Dad's wartime service... He was a dispatch rider with the T.A., and saw active service in the jungles of Burma with the 226 battery of the 101st Heavy Anti-Aircraft Regiment Royal Artillery (forgive me if I've not got that exactly right... Dad didn't really talk that much about his time there, and I don't blame him)...

Both his and my uncle's names are listed here, amongst men who served as part of the regiment (with thanks to Orkney Communities Image Library and contributor Peter Burges for use of the link).

No comments: